About Me

My Photo
Michelle Azar
I'm a Christian, a wife, a daughter, a sister, a friend, and an unemployed teacher taking advantage of this extended vacation by improving my cooking, photography, and crafting skills (and blogs). My wonderful husband, Mario, says things like, "Don't forget to pack your knicks and knacks," and, "What are Q-tips called?" Some of my favorite things to do (other than cooking, photography, and crafting) are reading and watching John Cena movies! I hope you enjoy my blogs and thanks for stopping by!
View my complete profile

Some Favorite Blogs

The Fine Print

Although sharing is caring, please do not use my photos without written permission from me. Also, please link back to my site if you replicate or are inspired by anything I present on my blog. Thanks! :)

Followers

Powered by Blogger.
Saturday, July 4, 2009

The Importance of Today


This is a devotional I receive in my e-mail box each day. You can sign up here to get yours, too!

The Slippery Slope
by Dennis and Barbara Rainey
July 4, 2009

"Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord." Psalm 33:12

Each Independence Day millions of Americans gather in parks and stadiums to watch fireworks and spend a day with their families. Yet in the midst of the pomp and pageantry, many people have no idea that our nation is sliding down a slippery slope perilously close to a cliff-a point of no return. Consider the following evidence of how grim our slide has become.

Alexander Fraser Tytler lived at the end of the eighteenth century, but his book The Decline and Fall of the Athenian Republic sends a chilling warning today. Tytler found that ancient democracies waned under the selfishness of human hearts. He wrote: "The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years. These nations have progressed through the following sequence:"

From bondage to spiritual faith;

from spiritual faith to great courage;

from courage to liberty;

from liberty to abundance;

from abundance to selfishness;

from selfishness to complacency;

from complacency to apathy;

from apathy to dependency;

from dependency back to bondage.

It was Abraham Lincoln who said, "The strength of a nation lies in the homes of its people." I am more convinced than ever that the homes of our nation contain the ingredients for a spiritual and moral awakening in our country. The smallest yet most powerful unit for spiritual awakening and social change is the family. Your family!

The real battle, the most important battle, is not in Washington, D.C.; it's in your own home.

Prayer: For those in power, both in this country and in other nations, that they may rule in godly ways so that we may live in peace in our nation.

Discuss: How does the level of morality and faith in society affect the home? Why do you think Christians are being tempted to lose heart in establishing biblical values and standards in their homes?

0 comments: